Just bought an LG G7 from Sprint or AT&T and found out that you cannot use it with another carrier’s SIM card? You need not worry! You have just been exposed to a device SIM lock feature, that U.S. telecom carriers implement on the devices they sell in order to secure their customers for a longer time and reduce their chances of swapping to the competitors. The U.S. telecommunications market is highly competitive, with new service plans offered by the carriers with every new phone model they offer. Hence, it was necessary for these carriers to secure their subscribers by adding an extra layer of effort and time to be invested by their subscribers to unlock their mobile handsets in case they decide to switch to one of their competitor carriers. This means that the SIM lock you just experienced with your G7 is not permanent and can be removed by following few simple steps that are outlined in this article.
LG G7 from Sprint: Unlock Procedure
Sprint is one of the main players in the U.S. telecommunications market, and offers flexible plans for its customers that can be utilized with different cell phone models. In case you have purchased your LG G7 device from Sprint and wish to use a SIM card from AT&T or Verizon, for example, you first need to make sure that you meet the eligibility requirements that Sprint has imposed before being able to use the unlock code they provide. These requirements include having no outstanding balance in your device’s account and owning a device that has not been stolen or black listed. Sprint also demands that you have used your device on their network for at least 50 days, which is quite a short period when compared to the regulations from other carriers. Sprint’s offering also includes the choice between getting a domestic and an international unlock code, to be used when switching to local and overseas carriers respectively.
If your LG G7 meets Sprint’s eligibility requirements, you can follow the steps listed below in order to unlock your phone:
- Acquire your device’s IMEI number by dialing *#06# on your device’s dial pad. Record this IMEI number.
- Contact Sprint’s Customer Support on 1-866-866-7509 and provide the IMEI number for them to check your eligibility. Once confirmed, place the request for your domestic and/or international unlock code.
- Once all the payments are settled, you should expect to receive your code within 1-2 days.
- Remove your Sprint SIM card and replace it with the new one, then restart your device and when prompted, enter your unlock code. Your device will then be able to connect on your new carrier.
LG G7 from T-Mobile: Unlock Procedure
T-Mobile is another U.S. carriers that owns a good share of the U.S. Telecommunications market. Similar to the web portal approach followed by AT&T, T-Mobile implements another easy-to-use technique by providing a mobile application that can be used to submit the request for, and receive the device unlock codes. Its eligibility criteria, however, involves a minimum of 12-month usage of your LG G7 along with a zero-balance account and a genuine usage profile with no history of black listing or illegitimate actions. Nevertheless, T-Mobile offers its customers the ability to use a temporary unlock code in case they only require to use a different operator’s SIM card for a short time period, or alternatively a permanent code that will unlock their devices for good. A difference in the cost of the unlock code in each case is also applied.
In order to unlock your G7 from its T-Mobile lock, the below steps should be followed:
- Acquire the IMEI of your handset by dialing *#06# and input it on T-Mobile’s IMEI Verification Page to confirm meeting the eligibility requirements.
- Download T-Mobile’s Device Unlock App from your application store and make sure to have a reliable internet connection to be able to use the application. This can be a 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi connection.
- Once the application is downloaded and opened, it should be able to automatically detect the IMEI of your G7. If not, you can still manually enter it into the prompt line.
- Choose the option you desire for a permanent or a temporary lock code and clear out any associated fees and then submit your request.
- The unlock code will then be directly generated on the screen and also emailed to you.
- You can now replace your T-Mobile SIM with that of your new operator. Once requested, enter the unlock code to unlock your device.
- You can also use the T-Mobile application itself to perform the unlock operation by opening it after inserting the new SIM card. The application will automatically unlock your device as soon as you give it the unlock order.
LG G7 from Verizon: Unlock Procedure
The fourth operator on our list is Verizon, which has only recently implemented its device locking policy, as an attempt to protect their devices against identity theft, money laundering or other illegal actions. If you have purchased your LG G7 handset from Verizon, you need to guarantee its clean record history and make sure you pay all your outstanding fees before requesting to unlock your device. You also need to be careful in case you have purchased a second-hand device that is locked to Verizon network by making sure it has not been involved in any illegitimate activities. Once verified, you can proceed as follows to unlock your device:
- Retrieve and keep a record of your G7’s IMEI number.
- Call Verizon’s Customer Support and place a request for the unlock code. The customer support representatives will then verify the eligibility of your device before proceeding with your request.
- Once accepted, the unlock code shall be emailed to you within a couple of days.
- With the unlock code in hand, you simply need to replace the SIM card from Verizon with the new one from your selected operator, and enter the unlock code in the SIM Unlock prompt. Your G7 is now ready to use on your new carrier.
LG V35 from AT&T: Unlock Procedure
Although LG highlights on its website that its G7 is compatible with AT&T network, AT&T announced that it shall not provide LG G7 to its customers. Instead, AT&T offers a unique LG V35 model that can only be purchased through its business centers. Nevertheless, this AT&T Exclusive device can also be unlocked to be used with other carriers. Unlocking your device through AT&T Customer Support (similar to how you would do it with Sprint) means that you need to pay the full contract price of the device before requesting the service. Instead, a third party website such as UnlockAuthority.Com shall help you obtain a legitimate unlock code that will allow you to use your device with other carriers without incurring this additional cost. This can be done using the following steps:
- Retrieve the IMEI number of your device by dialing the code *#06#.
- Visit UnlockAuthority.Com website and enter your device’s IMEI number along with other requested information.
- Provide your payment details and submit your completed request.
- You shall receive your unlock code on your email in less than 48 hours.
- Swap your AT&T SIM card with the SIM card from your new service provider, and upon restarting your phone, enter the unlock code in the prompt window. Your device will be unlocked and ready for operation.
LG G7 from Boost & Cricket
Although Boost and Cricket are both U.S. carriers that provide LG handsets through their business centers, they both do not offer LG G7 handsets as of today. Hence, you are unlikely to own an LG G7 device that is locked to Boost Mobile or Cricket Mobile networks. If any, you can use a third party website such as UnlockAuthority.com to obtain the unlock code. The generic procedure is as follows:
- Save the IMEI number of your LG G7 that you have obtained by dialing *#06#.
- Go to UnlockAuthority.com and enter the IMEI along with other network details.
- Complete the payment and wait for your unlock code to be received on your email within 1-2 days.
- Replace the old carrier’s SIM card with the SIM card of your new carrier, and activate your phone. You will be prompted to enter the unlock code, after which your device can hook up to your new carrier network.
UnlockAuthority.Com vs. Free Services
Rather than having to contact each respective operator in order to obtain the unlock codes, two other approaches can be followed: a trusted 3rd party application or a free device-rooting service. Utilizing the services of a trusted third party website, such as UnlockAuthority.Com which will guarantee you a valid unlock code with minimal fees and 24/7 service. It is a trusted website, on which you can provide the IMEI of your device and your current carrier network, then leave it to do the logistics of generating your unlock code. The code will be generated within few minutes and will be guaranteed to unlock your device as desired.
Although Unlock Authority may charge you for this service, the few dollars you pay will ensure the security of your device during the unlock process. This security may be otherwise impaired if you choose to go for a free device-rooting technique that will make your device vulnerable to hackers and unwanted backdoor Trojans. Hence, whether you decide to contact the carrier itself for the unlock code or allow us at UnlockAuthority.com to do the process for you, you will be guaranteed that your device is not impaired while you allow it to work on different carriers with no restrictions.