As a technique to help secure their customers and reduce the churn rate, telecom carriers in the U.S. lock the mobile handsets they offer to their customers, such that a handset that is bought from Verizon, for example, is locked to operate using SIM cards for this carrier only, and cannot be used with other carrier SIM cards such as Sprint or AT&T or any others. The good news is that this lock is not permanent! Rather, it is an extra layer of effort that the telecom operators / carriers have decided to enforce on their customers shall they decide to switch to a different carrier. After all, many customers will simply not bother to unlock their phones as long as they are getting a satisfactory service from the operator they have subscribed to. Nevertheless, steps to unlock the mobile phones are publicly available for different phone models, although the unlock code may need to be purchased from the carrier itself, which is particularly the case for more recent phone models. In this article, the procedures to unlock Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge phones for different U.S. carriers are presented.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge on Sprint: Unlock Procedure
In order to provide the unlock codes for its phones, Sprint imposes a set of requirements in order to approve the unlock action. These include 50-days minimum phone usage on Sprint network, account standing and security, zero balance and zero incidents of stolen phone or illegal line usage. Sprint also offers two sets of codes, for international and domestic unlock of the phones, in order to further restrict the process. Nevertheless, if your phone matches these requirements, the following steps can be followed to unlock your device:
- Dial *#06# on your Galaxy S6 Edge to obtain the phone’s IMEI number.
- Record the IMEI in your notepad or on paper. The important thing is: Keep it in hand!
- Call Sprint’s customer service on 1-866-866-7509 and request your respective unlock code after providing the phone’s IMEI number to the agent. Remember to explicitly mention whether the phone needs to be unlocked for international or domestic use.
- Check your email for the required unlock code. It shall arrive within 1-2 days.
- Once the code is obtained, you can now replace your Sprint SIM card with the SIM card from the new operator/carrier.
- The unlock code will be prompted as “Network Lock Control Key” or “SIM Network Unlock PIN”.
- Enter the unlock code provided by Sprint and your S6 Edge will directly be SIM unlocked.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge on AT&T: Unlock Procedure
AT&T imposes a set of requirements similar to those imposed by Sprint in order to provide the SIM unlock codes to their customers. Fully-paid bills and clear phone history are the main criteria that AT&T customer service agents will need to verify before sending the SIM unlock code to the user. Hence, one must be careful when purchasing a second hand phone to make sure it has not been stolen or black listed, and should also make sure to pay all the bills and any potential termination fees before deciding to unlock their devices from AT&T network. If all the requirements are met, the procedure is as follows:
- Dial *#06# on your Galaxy S6 Edge to obtain the phone’s IMEI number, and record this IMEI accordingly.
- Visit AT&T SIM Unlock Portal on https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/?#/
- Enter your AT&T mobile number in Step 1 and press Next. The website will verify whether you are eligible to get your phone unlocked.
- Provide your phone’s IMEI and the other required details.
- Proceed to request the unlock code. It shall be emailed to you within a couple of days.
- Once received, replace your AT&T SIM card with the new one, restart the phone and enter the provided unlock code once prompted. Your device will then be unlocked directly.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge on Verizon: Unlock Procedure
Verizon is another main mobile carrier in the U.S. and it offers a large variety of mobile phones to its customers, with the most relaxed phone unlock policies. Nevertheless, switching carriers remains an opportunity that several customers may need to utilize at some point or the other. Verizon offers the Samsung S6 Edge model SM-G920V which is unlocked and can be used with other carriers that offer 3G services such as Sprint and US Cellular as well as some GSM networks that provide sufficient coverage. However, if your S6 Edge from Verizon happens to be locked, you can follow the same procedure as with other carriers:
- Obtain the device’s IMEI number using *#06# and record it on a piece of paper or in a secure notepad file.
- Contact the operator’s customer support number to request the unlock code
- Apply the unlock code accordingly after replacing the Verizon SIM card with the new one.
- In case of Verizon in particular, simple unlock codes such as 000000 or 123456 can be tried first as they may work with some earlier models.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge on Boost: Unlock Procedure
In order to unlock your phone on Boost network, you would need to meet Boost’s eligibility requirements. These include a minimum of 12-months activation period, a good account standing and having a phone that has not been lost or stolen. Once these are met, the procedure to unlock your S6 Edge phone is as follows:
- Obtain the phone’s IMEI number by dialing *#06# and record it in a safe place.
- Call Boost Mobile customer service on 1-888-BOOST-4U and request the unlock code.
- Once received, replace the Boost SIM card with the new one and upon restarting the phone, enter the unlock code provided. The phone will then be unlocked.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge on Cricket: Unlock Procedure
Cricket is another U.S. carrier that enables unlocking their devices, once certain eligibility requirements have been met. In the case of Cricket, the phone needs to have been used for a minimum of 6 months on Cricket network and must be fully paid and/or on an unlimited service plan. If eligible, the same procedure is to be followed as with the previous carriers with locked phones:
- Phone’s IMEI number is to be obtained by dialing *#06# and recorded it in a safe place.
- Cricket customer service should be called to request the unlock code.
- Once received, the new SIM card is inserted into the phone and once requested, the unlock code should be entered to unlock the device and activate the new SIM.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge on T-Mobile: Unlock Procedure
T-Mobile offers a simple, easy-to-use mobile app to provide their customers with the desired unlock codes. It also offers its customers with the ability to temporarily unlock their phones for a certain period of time, in case they are going abroad for example, and then lock it back as soon as the period has expired. Certain eligibility requirements are also imposed by T-Mobile, including minimum 12-months activation period and clear phone record. The procedure to unlock your T-Mobile S6 Edge is as follows:
- Verify that your phone has clear records using the link: http://www.t-mobile.com/verifyIMEI.aspx
- Download the T-Mobile Device Unlock App or from Google Play Store.
- Make sure that your phone has an activated Data connection or is connected to a working Wi-Fi network. You will need internet connectivity to receive your unlock code.
- Open the application and select whether a permanent or a temporary unlock code is desired.
- The application will automatically obtain the phone’s IMEI and use it to generate the unlock code. The code generation process is quite fast and the code will be returned on the screen. 7
- Record the code, and use it after replacing the old SIM with the new one. The device will be unlocked accordingly.
Free Device Unlock for Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
The procedures described above all take place through the carrier itself, either by contacting its customer service representatives or using the carrier’s online services for device unlock. These services may involve certain charges if the carrier does not offer free phone unlocking services, which would need to be fully paid before the unlock code is sent to the requester. Other third party websites can also provide SIM unlock codes for a certain charge, but you need to make sure that these websites are legitimate before making any payments to avoid losing your money. UnlockAuthority.com is one of the highly trusted websites used by a lot of people in the US.
Nevertheless, other third party websites and applications do offer free-of-charge SIM unlocking options that require certain programming and rooting skills and hence may set the phone at risk. These applications may also be a gateway for hackers to sneak through your phone and get access to your data. Hence, before using a free tool, think carefully about the associated security concerns. After all, few dollars is a little to pay in return for ensuring the security of your device while unlocking it.