Have you ever purchased a mobile handset from a U.S. carrier and were unable to use it with SIM cards from other carriers, either abroad or even within the U.S. borders?
If you have ever been through this unpleasant experience, you do not need to panic. Few simple steps can be followed to unlock your device and be able to use it with as many different operators as you prefer. After all, U.S. carriers choose to lock their mobile handsets to their own SIM cards in order to restrict their customers’ ability to change to other operators by making it more difficult than a simple swap of SIM cards, hence the carriers become able to secure their customers for a longer time span.
Nevertheless, since these SIM locks are not permanent on almost all smart phone models, by following just few steps you can obtain the unlock code for your device and be able to use it to activate a different operator’s SIM card on your handset. You will then be able to use a Sprint SIM card, for example, on the handset that you purchased from T-Mobile without having to purchase a new handset from Sprint itself. Your Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus is no exception to this unlock capability, and after reading through this article, you shall be equipped with the necessary guidelines to unlock your S9 Plus from any U.S. carrier that you may have purchased it from.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus on Sprint: Unlock Procedure
Sprint is among the four key players in the U.S. Telecom operators market. In order to reduce their churn rate and secure their mobile handset customers for longer periods, Sprint has imposed certain restrictions before providing the SIM unlock codes for their devices. These restrictions include 50-days device usage on Sprint network, fully-paid account charges and good account standing with no records of stealing or black listing. In addition, Sprint offers the flexibility of providing either domestic or international unlock codes according to the customer’s demands, through which Sprint is able to get a perspective of the customer’s motivation for unlocking their devices.
In order to unlock your Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus from its Sprint SIM lock, make sure you comply with the restrictions highlighted above, then follow the following steps:
- Obtain, and keep a record of, the IMEI number of your handset by dialing *#06#.
- Contact Sprint customer service representatives on 1-866-866-7509 to request your device unlock code. The unlock code shall be emailed to you within 24-48 hours from your request. Note that:
- You would need to provide them with your IMEI number in order to receive the code.
- You also need to select whether you require a domestic or an international unlock code. An international unlock code will not allow you to use a local SIM card from Verizon, for example, or AT&T or any other U.S. carrier.
- You need to complete the payment necessary to receive your unlock code, as it is not a free service.
- Upon receiving your code, replace your Sprint SIM card with the new one and enter the unlock code in the pop-up message then press Unlock. You can now use your phone freely on domestic or international carriers.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus on AT&T: Unlock Procedure
AT&T also belongs to the family of the biggest U.S. carriers and offers mobile handsets that are locked to their SIM cards. The unlock policy followed by AT&T is very similar to that of Sprint, as certain compliance requirements are imposed as well. For instance, you need to make sure that you have no outstanding balance in your account when requesting your unlock code. In addition, you phone must not be stolen or registered on a black list and must have a clean usage record throughout its service period on AT&T networks.Upon verifying your compliance with these conditions, follow the below steps to unlock your device:
- Keep a record of your device’s IMEI number by dialing *#06# and noting down the number on a piece of paper, in a word document or any location other than your phone itself.
- Use your web browser to navigate to AT&T SIM Unlock Portal and fill in your device’s IMEI and other details as applicable.
- Complete your payment on the website and submit your request. The website will verify that your number is eligible for this service before completing the application.
- The unlock code shall be emailed to you within 1-2 days.
- Once received, insert the new SIM card in place of the old one, and enter the obtained unlock code in the “SIM Unlock PIN” window. Your handset is now ready to use with any operator.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus on Verizon: Unlock Procedure
Verizon is another key player in the U.S. Operators market, but tends to have less-strict regulations when it comes to device locking. For several years, Verizon had kept its mobile devices unlocked, and open to SIM card swapping upon customer’s desires with no specific restrictions. Nevertheless, in 2018, Verizon implemented a SIM lock policy similar to that imposed by other local U.S. operators as an act against unethical utilization of smart phone devices in money laundering, identity theft or other illegal activities. The same requirements of zero phone balance and clear account record are also imposed before the SIM unlock code is provided to the customers. In order to have a Verizon handset to unlocked, make sure you comply with these requirements, and then proceed with the following steps:
- Record your device’s IMEI number which can be obtained by dialing *#06# on the device itself.
- Contact Verizon’s customer care service and submit a request for your device unlock code. The customer care representative will make sure that your device is compliant with all the conditions.
- Alternatively, you can utilize the services of a trusted 3rd party website such as UnlockAuthority.Com and request your unlock codes through the website itself.
- Once the code is received, which usually takes 24-48 hours, swap your Verizon SIM card with the SIM card of your new operator and input the code when requested. Your device will then be automatically unlocked.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus on T-Mobile: Unlock Procedure
T-Mobile belongs to the family of the largest U.S. carriers in the Telecom market, together with Sprint, AT&T and Verizon. Similar to those carriers, T-Mobile also provides mobile handsets that are locked to its SIM Cards. However, it has provided a more convenient, easy-to-use technique to obtain the device unlock codes, using a mobile application from which you can verify your phone’s eligibility, request for your unlock code, and apply the new code after replacing your T-Mobile SIM card. The eligibility conditions for T-Mobile are similar to those of the previous operators, covering a minimum of 12-months activation and usage period, clear device records and zero outstanding fees. T-Mobile also offers the additional flexibility of choosing between temporarily or permanently unlocking your phone. This is particularly useful if you need to unlock your phone only during your travel time but will return back to your T-Mobile SIM card as soon as you are back home.
The procedure to unlock your T-Mobile device is as follows:
- Obtain your device’s IMEI number using the code *#06# on your phone’s dial screen.
- Confirm the eligibility of your device by entering its IMEI number on http://www.t-mobile.com/verifyIMEI.aspx
- Visit Google Play Store and download T-Mobile’s Device Unlock App. Make sure that you are connected to a reliable Wi-Fi network or have an active data connection.
- Once downloaded, visit the application and enter your IMEI number and/or allow the application to automatically extract it from your device. Choose whether you require a temporary or a permanent unlock code.
- Complete the unlock code request process and pay the necessary fees. The code will then be generated within few minutes and will be viewed on the screen. It will also be sent to your email.
- Replace your T-Mobile SIM card with the new one and restart your device.
- Re-open the application and select the unlock option. Your device will be automatically unlocked.
- If you are unable to open the application because your device is locked, you can manually enter your unlock code to unlock your handset.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus on Boost: Unlock Procedure
Boost is another U.S. carrier from which you may have purchased your Galaxy S9 Plus which is locked to their network. Similar to other carriers, Boost also has its unlock eligibility conditions before providing the device unlock code to its customers. These conditions include at least one year phone activation and usage period, good account standing, and a clear account record with no history of stealing or black listing. Once these conditions are verified, you can follow the below procedure to unlock your Galaxy S9 Plus:
- Dial *#06# on your device’s keypad to retrieve the device’s IMEI number.
- Record this number in a safe place that can be accessed while your phone is active (i.e. NOT in an application on the same device).
- Contact Boost Mobile Customer Care services on 1-888-BOOST-4U and provide your phone’s IMEI number to submit a request for the unlock code.
- The unlock code will be emailed to you within few days.
- Remove the Boost SIM card and restart your phone with the new SIM in place, then enter the unlock code in the respective pop-up window to unlock your device.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus on Cricket: Unlock Procedure
If you have purchased your device from Cricket Mobile on a contract basis, you need to make sure you have used it for at least 6-months before applying for an unlock code. You also need to ensure that you have paid for the complete contract period, or have registered for an unlimited service plan. Having a clear record is also a main requirement if you choose to unlock your device from its Cricket SIM lock. If you meet these requirements, follow the below steps to unlock your mobile handset:
- Retrieve your device’s IMEI number by dialing *#06# on your keypad.
- Record this IMEI number accurately in an accessible location away from your device.
- Contact Cricket Customer Support services to submit a request for your unlock code. The customer care representative shall verify that you meet the eligibility requirements before proceeding with your request.
- The unlock code will be sent to your email within few days after submitting your request.
- Once obtained, replace your Cricket SIM card in S9 plus with the new SIM card, and enter the unlock code as requested to unlock your device and be able to use it on your new carrier’s network.
Unlocking Your Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus For Free
While some carriers may only require full payment of the contract period before unlocking their phones, other hidden termination fees may be involved which makes the process not completely free. The only way to unlock your device for free would be to resort to some third party websites or applications that would root your device to be able to unlock it. Nevertheless, it is important to note that rooting your device makes it exposed to external intruders and hence more likely to be hacked or attacked by backdoor Trojans. Rooting your phone to unlock it is therefore highly discouraged.
Using UnlockAuthority.com to Unlock Your Device
If you do not wish to resort to your carrier for unlocking your device, UnlockAuthority.Com offers you with the ability to get your device unlocked without going through this hassle. UnlockAuthority provides you with your unlock code in return for a small payment, as soon as you provide details of your IMEI and your device’s current carrier network. With a 24/7 unlocking service and a process that only takes 45 minutes to be completed, UnlockAuthority provides you with guaranteed unlock codes that will unlock your S9 Plus device immediately with 100% Money Back policy if the code does not function as required. It is definitely worth paying the associated charges in return for a fast, secure and 100% guaranteed service without having to worry about any security concerns.