Apple iPhone XR is being marketed as the cheapest and best iPhone made, which is true, to an extent. When you have made the purchase from a particular carrier, you might notice that your phone is locked to their services. The smartphone scene in the United States is a complicated one where, due to high competition, cellular carriers want to keep you in their loop with freebies and plans and not use any other carrier.
Even the biggest smartphone manufacturer, Apple, has finally stepped into the world of dual-SIM capabilities and in order to fully use its potential, you should unlock your phone. If you have been looking for ways to know how to unlock your iPhone XR on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint, you have come to the right place.
We have created a guide that is simple to understand; the steps are properly laid out and you will be able to use your newly purchased iPhone XR with any cell phone carrier as you would please, without being tied down.
iPhone XR in a Sprint Contract: How to Unlock it?
An iPhone XR purchased with a Sprint two-year contract is nearly the same as an iPhone 8 Plus or an iPhone X. In their official page, Sprint explains that when a phone is locked to their network, it is being done so that you continue to be their customer for the specific period. It is done because you are getting your iPhones with a subsidized pricing and the cost is being taken care of by Sprint. They plan to recover that from you, the buyer through the contract period and when you wish to own the device before the period ends, you should meet their restrictions and requirements in order for you to own the phone completely.
Sprint requires that customers should have used the device for at least 50 days before they place an unlocking request. The time period is rather less, compared to most other carriers. You can read more about their requirements on their official page here.
- Once you are sure that your iPhone XR meets the eligibility requirements set by Sprint, you should get the IMEI number of your phone.
- Dial *#06# on your phone and it will show the IMEI number.
- Note it down and call Sprint on their customer care number – 888-211-4727 and 855-639-4644
- Place a request with the customer care and the company will unlock your device in 2 business days
- Users are expected to pay the remaining cost of the phone before placing a request and if you have already completed your two-year contract, it will automatically be unlocked without placing a request
- Sprint also requires their customers to own a smartphone that is not reported stolen or blacklisted
How to Unlock your iPhone XR on T-Mobile?
T-Mobile is a popular cellular service provider in the United States and they have a couple of requirements as well as a different way to help users unlock phones from their network. The service provider requires you to have used the phone at least for a whole year or 12 months, before you can place the request to change to a different carrier.
Before you decide to unlock your phone and insert a new SIM card, make sure you get in touch with your new service provider. For example, if you are planning to change from T-Mobile to Sprint, you should call Sprint to check if they allow iPhones purchased from a different carrier to be used with their SIM card. The requirement will vary based on the model you own and it is at the sole discretion of the company that you can switch to a new plan on their network.
Apart from providing a permanent unlock code, T-Mobile also focuses on providing better customer experience with temporary unlock codes. You can use it for international roaming with a different SIM card and the phone will automatically get locked again after the specific period. The cost of a temporary unlock code is much less compared to a permanent unlock and you should meet their terms and conditions before requesting to opt out of their network permanently.
Check out the below steps
- Dial *#06# on your mobile phone to find the IMEI number. Note down the number
- Head to the IMEI verification page on T-Mobile which is the easier way to find whether your phone meets the eligibility requirements to opt out of the service
- An alternate solution is to download the T-Mobile official device unlock app from the iOS store
- When the app runs on your phone, it can automatically grab the IMEI number and let you know whether you are eligible to unlock
- Make sure to pay any pending amount which is mandatory and you will receive the unlock code on your app as well on the official email account you provided during registration
- Once the code is entered, your iPhone XR can be used with any network as you like if they allow it
- Insert a new SIM card to check whether it is working as intended
How to Unlock your iPhone XR on AT&T Services?
AT&T has a large collection of offers specifically designed for the Apple iPhone XR. They do offer unlocked versions which could cost the full price of $750 or more based on the storage option you opt for. If you are buying a phone on a 30-month contract, you will be paying $25 a month for the 64GB version and it goes all the way up to $30 a month for the 256GB version.
The pricing of an iPhone XR is still high even though it is a bit less compared to the newly launched iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Max that goes all the way above $1000. Any user is forced to pay the entire sum in order to unlock their phone from a specific service, be it AT&T or any other company for that matter.
- Dial *#06# on your phone to find the IMEI number of your device
- It is helpful when you visit the official AT&T page to unlock your iPhone XR
- AT&T also provides International Day Pass if you are traveling abroad and require to use another SIM for a particular period of time
- Head to the official unlock page where you can place your request to unlock your phone
- You have the best alternative at UnlockAuthority.com
- Fill up the form, provide your IMEI number and payment details
- Instead of paying the full contract price, you can get it done this way and save on an unlocked phone
Insert a new SIM card and when your iPhone XR requests for a unlock code, then provide the one sent by unlock authority and you will be good to start using any service provider. The device will be fully unlocked without having to pay the full contract price.
How to Unlock Your iPhone XR on Verizon?
Verizon is the easiest of them all because they are not keen on locking their phones to the carrier. If you purchased your iPhone XR from Verizon, you are probably on the safer side. The official website suggested that they don’t lock most of their phones or tablets on their postpaid services.
The locking is not done both during the contract period and there is no unlocking procedure once the contract ends. The company specifically mentions that the 4G LTE devices which are the newer ones, including the XR, are not locked and there is no need to get a code from them to use it with a different carrier of your choice.
You can read more about their unlocking policies here.
- If you have purchased your phone with specific plans or for subsidized pricing, you are expected to pay the full price before moving to a different carrier
- The price of the phone is part of the plan and once paid, you can call Verizon customer care at 888-294-6804 to place an unlock request
- The code will be emailed to you in 2 business working days
- Enter the code when it is prompted as soon as you insert your new SIM card and you should be good to go
- You should use the phone for 1 year before moving to a different network or pay the sum specified in the back of your phone’s box to be eligible to remove the SIM lock
The Advantage of Using UnlockAuthority.com Vs Contacting the Service Provider
Instead of going to the official website of companies like AT&T and Verizon, unlockauthority.com is a third-party website that is dedicated to helping people unlock their iPhone XR or any other model in the easiest possible way. The unlock code is sent immediately within a couple of minutes and you can conveniently skip paying the entire contract sum to get your phone out of their services.
The cost of using Unlock Authority is fairly less when compared to paying the cost of your iPhone XR outright within a few months of beginning the contract. Besides, many cellular service providers allow device unlocking only after a year and you can skip the waiting period with the services. You can conveniently make use of the awesome phone you have without paying a huge sum and the small investment made with unlock authority will allow you to use your amazing Apple iPhone XR to its full potential anywhere in the United States and during your international trips.